After trying Carnita’s at a local Mexican Restaurant. We craved them so much, that we came up with our own Carnitas recipe. Which was so easy and fun to make.
3 lbs Pork Roast (Cut into Chunks)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Cumin
1/2 tsp Oregano
1/2 tsp Coriander
2 Bay leaves
4 c Chicken Broth
3 Tbsp Lime Juice
1 Onion (cut into very thin slices)
1 (12oz) Beer
6 Tortilla shells
1 (15 oz)can Refried beans
1 c Cheddar Cheese( shredded)
– Cut meat into chunks.
– Place in large bowl, Add salt Garlic Powder, and pepper.
– Mix the pork and few spices.
– Sear the pork until Browned.
– While waiting for pork to finish searing. Prepare the slow cooker with broth and beer and the rest of the dry ingredients.
– Add the pork to slow cooker.
– Cook on high for an hour.
– After an hour, turn heat down to medium heat. And let cook for 3 hours.
– An hour before serving you want to add Seared slivered onions.
– You can also add in cilantro too. It is optional.
– After 3 hours, take a fork and shred the meat.
– Take tortilla shell and place 1 Tbsp of refried beans, add cheese, and 3 Tbsp of the carnita’s filling.
– Fold like you would burrito and once all of the Carnita’s are done, place on cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, to allow cheese to melt.
– Serve with a bit of lettuce and Salsa on the side. I wish that there would have been leftovers for lunch.
Goes well with Spanish Rice. What would other great Add-ins be?