While the weather is snowy and cold and watching the snow drifts get higher and higher. I decided to make this Beef Soup with Dumplings which was perfect for the family. This is my slow cooked method. So on those cold days this soup would be perfect.
2 Beef Soup Bones
1 Onion (chopped)
2 Garlic Cloves ( slivered)
2 Celery Stalks ( 1 inch pieces)
2 Carrots ( 1 in Pieces)
2 Potatoes ( 1 in pieces)
1 tsp Coriander
3 Bay Leaves
3 Sprigs Thyme (fresh)
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
6 c Beef stock/ broth
– Brown soup bones (I stuck mine in the oven for an hour. But you can Sear them in a frying pan)
– Cut up the the celery, carrots, onion and garlic.
– In slow cooker , add the Stock, Broth.
– Once the Soup bones are done browning, add to slow cooker with the juices. Add the garlic and onion and the spices. Allow to cook on high for an hour.
– Turn the heat down to medium, or 3.
– After an hour and a half of cooking, Add the carrots, celery ,and potatoes.
– You may have to adjust the salt a bit because in my house hold we are watching the salt intake.
– Add these wonderful and light dumplings, A half hour before serving.
2 c Flour
1 tsp Salt
4 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Butter(melted)
2/3 c Milk
– In medium sized bowl, add all dry ingredients.
– Stir in the butter, milk, and egg.
– Using a cookie scoop, spoon onto hot soup. (make sure you take out the bay leaves and the thyme).
– After spooning in the mixture, put the cover back on slow cooker and cook another 30 minutes.
* Any vegetables would be perfect for this soup.
What is your favorite Soup?
What would be good add- ins?